“Remembering Ruby: A Beloved Pup Who Touched Hearts and Left a Void”

It’s been a week since we lost our beloved Hungarian Vizsla, Ruby. She was only seven years old. The pain of losing a family pet is already devastating, but it’s even worse knowing that her death could have been prevented if only we had known about xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that’s becoming more and more popular in food products, but it’s deadly for dogs. Even a small piece of chewing gum that contains xylitol, which is present in most brands, can kill a dog that weighs between 8-10 kilograms. Surprisingly, many dog owners are unaware of this danger. Manufacturers use xylitol to make their products healthier by replacing sugar, which means it’s found in foods like yoghurt, peanut butter, cakes, and fast food.

My homemade brownies were stolen by Ruby again, which wasn’t surprising since she has done it before. However, this time I used xylitol in the recipe, and I had no idea that it could be deadly for dogs. We didn’t rush her to the vet right away, and it took 36 hours after vomiting terribly and collapsing for us to realize the severity of the situation. Even when we brought her to the vet, it wasn’t until she was transferred to the Royal Veterinary College Hospital that we were informed about xylitol. Despite eight days of intensive care, she couldn’t survive, and now we are devastated to have lost a beloved pet. The grief and guilt are overwhelming, and we can’t see any positive outcome from this loss.

It’s difficult to express the depth of sorrow that comes with losing a furry companion. As fellow dog lovers, it’s important for us to share knowledge and prevent others from experiencing the same pain. One crucial piece of information to keep in mind is the dangers of xylitol. Take the time to learn about this sweetener and be vigilant about what your dog is picking up off the ground or consuming as a treat. Even high-end restaurants have started using xylitol in their cooking, so it’s important to be aware of the ingredients in any food your dog may come across. If you’re unsure if something is safe for your pet, don’t hesitate to call the Animal PoisonLine at 01202 509000. This service can assess the situation and give you proper advice on what to do next. For a flat fee of £30, it could save your pet’s life. Let’s all do our part to keep our furry friends safe and healthy.

Let’s get the message out there! It’s crucial that all canine owners know about the danger of this ‘new’ poison. Those who carelessly drop gum need to realize they’re leaving a toxic trail that can harm our loyal companions. Veterinarians must be quick to consider xylitol, alongside warfarin, as a potential cause when treating poisoned dogs. Food manufacturers should prominently label products containing xylitol as “dangerous for dogs.” According to the PoisonLine, hundreds of canines die each year due to xylitol poisoning, but the real number may even be higher. We must do everything we can to prevent our furry friends from being part of this statistic.